Chef Erin O’Shea’s delicious root beer chili is the perfect transitional meal in this uncertain weather–a hint of our favorite summer beverage with enough heat to warm up cold bones after an April shower.
2 T vegetable oil
8 lb beef brisket lean or beef tips for stews
2cups root beer
2cups brooklyn brown ale
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
2 28oz. cans of whole roma tomatoes
2 yellow onions, diced
3-4 carrots sliced in rounds
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
5t dark chile powder
1/2 t cayenne
1t ground star anise
1/4 t ground clove
1/4 t ground cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
*In a large soup pot, add a touch of vegetable oil and brown the chili meat. Once it is browned remove from the pot and reserve for later. Do not put too much in the pot at once or it will not brown. Brown the meat off in batches
* Once all the meat is browned and removed from the pot, add the carrots and onions to sweat. Season with salt and pepper as you go.
* When the onions are almost translucent, add the garlic and sweat for a couple minutes
* Add all the dry spices to the pot and let them cook out for a few moments until you start to get their aroma
* Add the browned meat back to the pot and stir to coat with the spices
* Add the tomatoes to the pot being sure to break up any whole tomatoes with a gentle squeeze
*Add the cooking liquids- root beer, beer and chicken stock
* Bring to a full boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for at least one hour- tasting as you go – until the meat is tender, and the consistency is to your liking.