Back at the start of the year, our friends at uwishunu included Alla Spina in their list of the Top 12 Restaurant Openings in Philly in 2012. Turns out, they weren’t the only ones exited for it: earlier this month, GQ named Alla Spina one of the five hottest restaurant openings in the entire country for 2012.
Well, now we finally get to see what all the buzz is about. Alla Spina opens its doors tonight, debuting with a pork-centric menu of casual Italian gastropub fare and 20 beers on tap and some 50 more in bottles.
Chefs Marc Vetri, Jeff Michaud and Damon Menapace have developed an impressive looking menu of grown-up bar food, big on rich flavors and bold ingredients.
A few highlights we can’t wait to try include: the mortadella hotdog, poutine bolognese, fried pig tails, maple glazed fried chicken, pig pot pie, fried snails, pig sticks, baked oysters, pork terrine, luganega sausage and grilled bone marrow.
If you haven’t figured it out by now pork is a reoccurring theme, including the above pictured mascot, Alex who presides over the bar.
You can check out the full food menu below.
As for beer, Victory Brewing Company has teamed up with Vetri to brew an exclusive house beer for Alla Spina, a blonde lager named Novello. There are a number of other local beers, as well as Italian beers, Belgian beers and beers from just about anywhere else you can imagine.
Reservations are now live online. We’d recommend booking yours. With haste.
Opening Monday, February 27
1410 Mt. Vernon Street
Alla Spina – Sample Food Menu
ON THE BLACK BOARD
• oysters on the ½ shell M.P.
• crudo di pesce
• crudo di carne
• crudo di verdura
• porcini devilled eggs $4
• baked oysters with parmigiano, lemon and parsley $16
• tonnato stuffed bell peppers $6
• baccala chowder $8
• housemade pretzel with spicy beer cheese $5
• “schisola” polenta stuffed with taleggio cheese $4
• “sottaceti” house pickles $6
SALUMI $8 – served with rye beer bread
• young salame with italian coleslaw
• lamb speck with horseradish butter
• prosciutto cotto with charred pineapple
• rustic pork terrine with apple sauce
• “involtini di muratore” fried mortadella with fontina cheese $10
• pig tails fennel agrodolce $8
• fried snails with garlic and parsley tartar sauce $16
• beef fat french fries $5
• testina “pig sticks” with salsa rossa $6
• crispy sunchokes with sea salt $4
ALLA PIASTRA “PLANCHA”
• louisiana gulf prawns with citrus butter vinaigrette $18
• razor clams with salsa verde $15
• marrow bones with radish and parsley $12
• tomino with currant eccles cake $10
• mortadella with mustard fruits $8
• oyster mushrooms trifolati $5
• luganega sausage with charred onions and house made grain mustard $8
PANINI – served with choice of salt and vinegar chips or bbq chips
• mortadella hotdog with spicy pickles and cabbage relish $8
• taleggio grilled cheese with roasted red peppers and green tomato conserva $10
• swordfish “blt” with basil and guanciale $14
• veal breast milanese hoagie with bacon maionese $12
PASTA AL FORNO
• crespelle della Mamma Pina $16
• lasagna verde alla bolognese $16
• bufala milk ricotta mac n cheese $14
ROBA DI ALLA SPINA “SIGNATURES”
• poutine with guinea hen leg bolognese and mozzarella curd $14
• pig pot pie $16
• italian rarebit with sunny side up egg and apple wood smoked bacon $12
• Sals giambot salad $10
• whole trout alla piastra with brown butter and baby lettuce $18
• maple glazed fried chicken with fries $16
• whole roasted pork shoulder with mustard green salad and sottaceti serves 4 $80
Uwishunu has caught a case of Oscar Fever. With all the buzz around Silver Linings Playbook and its eight oscar nominations this Sunday, we couldn’t help but get caught up in it all. We’ve rounded up our top picks for Oscar Viewing parties on Sunday; we’ve put together a Silver Linings-themed itinerary of Philadelphia; and […]
Teuscher Chocolates, whose Philly outpost is one of only ten in the U.S., has been declared the Best Chocolate in the World by National Geographic who, just over a year ago, gave us some dessert love by naming Capogiro the #1 ice cream spot in the world. Dolf Teuscher founded his chocolate house 70 years […]
There's a chill in the air, which means that the holidays are upon us. That, in turn, means that it's time to start thinking about decorating and gifting. If you're looking to go green — literally and figuratively — this holiday season, check out the annual Holiday Bazaar at Greensgrow Farms. The event runs two […]
If fashion design is up your alley, you won't want to miss this "tailor-made" event. Norman Porter, a local denim, canvas and leather company, will be demonstrating how to construct denim jeans at Art in the Age on Friday, November 2, from 6 to 8 p.m. Learn the fascinating process of denim and leather crafting […]